Wednesday, March 6, 2013

:: chicken shepherd pie recipe ::

This is what I cooked for dinner two nights ago. Although I returned home from office nearly 8:00 pm I was still determined to make it so I rushed to the kitchen just after I arrived. I am a bit unsure whether to call it shepherd pie or chicken pot pie because it is a combination of both. The combination that I meant is the mashed potato topping from the shepherd pie and the creamy chicken filling from the pot pie. The difference between the two is shepherd pie normally uses beef with vege as filling while pot pie normally uses pie crust as the topping so lastly I decided to call it Chicken Shepherd Pie instead. It was my first try and glad it turned out perfectly. Above all, my baby loved the pie a lot and even asked for more. He made me a happy mother.



INGREDIENTS:
- Potatoes
- Boneless chicken
- Carrot or mixed vege
- A can of Prego's Mushroom Alfredo (can also use cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup or carbonara sauce)
- Onion
- Garlic
- Salt
- Pepper
- Butter


I used a 9.5" x 5.5" deep baking tray because I have a small oven so amount of ingredients are according to size of my tray. I love that tray because I bought it at only RM5 from Daiso.


STEPS:
1. Prepare mashed potatoes
- The traditional way is to peel potato skin and boil until they are soft and tender. I used the modern way: peel potato skin and put 2 potatoes inside microwave for 5:18 minutes (my microwave has auto setting for baked potato).
- Mashed potatoes with butter and a pinch of salt then put aside.


2.  Pre-heat oven at 180 degrees.


3. Prepare the filling
- Cut boneless chicken into small pieces.
- Cut carrots into small cubes but this is not necessary if using mixed vege. Boil the carrots / mixed vege until tender.
- Cut garlic into thin strips and cut onion into small cubes. I used 4 cloves of garlic and 1 onion for this.
- Heat a table spoon of butter and saute the garlic and onion. Use olive oil for a healthier option.
- Pour chicken inside the pan and fry until they almost cook then add in vegetable.
- Pour in can of sauce or soup and mix some water if it is too thick. I used mushroom alfredo because it was available in my kitchen for ages. Didn't regret using it because the distinctive mushroom taste gave umph to the chicken filling.
- Add in salt and pepper according to taste.


 
4. Pour the filling into the baking tray then spread the mashed potatoes on top. (Next time I want to try grating some cheese on top of the potatoes...yumsz!).


 
5. Bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes. 

READY TO SERVE.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...