I usually have their beef quesadillas set that came with nachos and pina colada, but it is quite difficult to get them because neither Ikano nor KLCC nor Pavilion is near home or office. Since I really like the quesadillas so much I then said to myself one day, "why don't I make them at home?". After reading this post by thepinkstilletos I became more inspired and after a quick visit to Cold Storage last Tuesday, I finally managed making my own homemade beef quesadillas later that night. Here, I am sharing the recipe as my own reference and also for readers, in case you feel like having Mexican at home ;-)
- Minced meat
- Taco seasoning mix
- Cheese (grated / shredded)
- Tortilla bread
1. Fry 200g minced meat with a table spoon of cooking oil until brown. Put aside.
2. Boil 2/3 cup of water with a sachet of seasoning mix and stir until well mixed. Pour meat into the mixture and keep on stirring. I somehow found some olives and mushrooms inside my refrigerator so I just add them in together with diced shallot and garlic. Thinking of adding diced green capsicum, onions and tomatoes next time. Add pinch of salt and sugar according to taste.
3. Keep on stirring until the mixture is dry.
4. Heat a tortilla bread on a pan.
5. Spread some butter at half side and sprinkle some grated cheese on another.
6. Put beef mixture on the cheese side and sprinkle some more cheese on top.
7. Fold the tortilla and flip. Cook until cheese is melted.
8. Cut into half or quarter and serve with sour cream. Even better with guacamole and salsa too. (here is my easy salsa dip recipe)
Verdict: I was so happy with the outcome. It was my first trial and I was so excited because hubby liked it too. Luckily he urged me to buy the taco seasoning mix or else it won't turn out as expected. The mixture was enough for three tortillas and total cost is way cheaper than buying three ala-carte quesadillas from Popilla. I will surely make them again next time, perhaps with salsa and pina colada. Me encanta la comida mexicana!